If you like gambling you’ll love shopping at Bunnings. Some staff are brilliant and very knowledgible – others are far worse than useless giving completely wrong advice (“a four stroke mower has four cylanders and a two stroke mower has two cylanders.” Just nonsense!)
The lottery is finding the good guys and dodging the idiots.
So here’s my advice.
1. Do a GOOGLE search including the word Bunnings. (Don’t search within the Bunnings site because its rubbish at searching.)
2. Find what you want online, print it off and take it to the store.
3. Interestingly, not all stores carry all Bunnings products, so it may not be there – but no one really knows! DO NOT believe the first staffy that tells you they don’t have one. Ask more than one person until you exhaust the possibilities or yourself. Mid week or early evenings are best for this. Forget weekend visits.
NOTE: I followed my advice the other day looking for a plaster-sanding-tool, I’d found on the Bunnings site. Team member 1 said “Dunno, try tools”, Team member 2 (in tools) said “No way. It was an online order item.” I’ve never heard of online orders despite searching the Bunnings Website and shopping there every second day for over two years. Team member 3 suggested we wander over to the plastering section and voila! There it was. All up, about 45 minutes and 3 team members to track down a tool advertised by Bunnings on their website!
1.Why can’t the Bunnings website tell me what items are at what stores?
2. Why can’t a page printed from the website be checked at store to see where it is?
3. Why do Bunnings train their staff to be more knowledgable about the products on the shelves?
It's my fault (and all those shoppers like me). We want low prices and a wide range of products. We grizzle about terrible service but keep on spending. There WERE plenty of Hardware stores with great service (but higher prices) and guess what? Most have closed down. Bunnings NEVER have to close down a store; they just keep opening new ones.
PS. If you have a paint or handyman problem click here and I'd be happy to help.
I've been drawing and painting since I was a kid. I've studied art and design and have worked in visual areas my whole life. Now I'm a house painter!